Monday, September 21, 2009

Home Improvement

It is a wonderful and humbling thing to witness positive changes in the life of another and know that one has had a hand in bringing them about. Take Joshua, for instance. There have been many positive changes in his life since we got married. For starters I have opened him up to the worlds of Lost, Psych and Harry Potter (he actually went and saw the Half-Blood Prince in the theatre with me TWICE!). He is also learning Portuguese. Granted his vocabulary is currently limited to words and phrases such as chato (aggravating), bum-bum (butt), linda (beautiful), querida (sweet), and so on, but he is learning.

Lest you think I only impart frivolous knowledge to my husband, let me assure you that his theology and logic are also much improved since we've been married. For example: this weekend we met a young man, a very, very Southern Baptist young man - at least in Joshua's assessment of him. Some time after we had parted company with the gentleman Joshua made the observation that he was very much a Southern Baptist and it was very obvious. How so?, I wanted to know. Well, said Joshua, it was obvious he was well fed in that fried-chicken, fried-catfish-eating kinda way. When I pointed out to Joshua that he was well-fed too he brushed that aside saying it was different, he wasn't that well-fed. I pointed out that it sounded a little bit, just a tad, as if he were passing judgment on the young man. Without missing a beat he replied:

"I'm not passing judgment. I'm stereotyping. It's different."

See, I learned in Seminary that that is what you call the doctrine of justification. And, yes, my kind of logic is rubbing off on him a bit. (Good one, honey!)

He is also catching on to my sense of adventure. Two weeks ago Southern Seminary had their annual Fall Festival on the great lawn. Thisone was extra special in celebration of the Seminary's 150th anniversary. They had a rock-climbing wall, bmx riders (which I kept calling motorcross - I mean, how different are they, really?), jousing, burgers, candy, and .... - a mechanical bull!!! So, guess what yours truly decided she wanted to do? You got it! Ride the mechanical bull! Joshua did not want to at first, but once I rode he decided to give it a go. So we rode and I got a bruised elbow, a very badly banged up knee and some whip-lash to show for my pains and Joshua got a cut hand. But it was worth it!

Tune in later this week to find out how I have improved since marrying Joshua - after all, marriage is a two-way street. For now, enjoy the pics of our now infamous mechanical bull ride!





0 comments:

Post a Comment