Friday, February 15, 2013

The Day I Saved Tuesday & a Van Gogh Valentine's!

This week was quite an exciting week!  I saved Tuesday.  Literally.  I did.  Truly.  Here's how it happened.  Tuesday I got to work like any other day when suddenly our dean, Dr. Dearman, runs in and says, "Jenna, come see.  There a little white dog in the field back here."  There is a huge field behind our building and people are always dumping their unwanted pets there.  Dr. Dearman's office faces this field so he often calls me to see different animals - especially Dasher - the special stray I wrote about last week.

I walked back to his office to see this new pup and sure enough it was a little bitty white dog walking in the field.  I watched as it walked towards the road.  The poor, clueless little think acted as if it were out for a stroll, merrily bouncing towards the busy street as cars sped by.  Finally it reached the street and began to cross when suddenly a loud sound blared out.  A large SUV had slammed on its brakes to avoid hitting the pup and blared its horn.  The terrified dog turned back to the field racing as fast as it could.

Gathering some food and a leash I got into my car and drove to the bank next door and tried to find the dog.  I found it cowering, visibly shaking and frightened behind some thick shrubs and thorns.  I could not entice her to come so returned to the building for reinforcements.  My friend Carrie then walked back with me to where the dog was hiding and together we cleared enough of the shrubs so I could climb back there - yes, risking my life because there were probably GINORMOUS spiders in there - and rescue her.

Tuesday gets a ride to the Vet.

We took her to the vet and got her checked out.  At the vet they asked me for her name and, on the spot being the creative genius that I am, I gave her the first name I could think of:  Tuesday.  Because it was Tuesday.  She has been staying with us and getting to know Frazier.  They are doing OK together.  I think it's fair to say that he is more interested in her and more keen to play with her than she is interested in knowing him or playing with him.  She is a Bichon/Poodle mix and definitely prefers being cuddled and held to playing - she's cute.  I think Mr. Farris really likes her.



After saving Tuesday one would think this week couldn't possibly be any more exciting, right?  Wrong!  On Thursday, for Valentine's Day Joshua and I decided to go to another one of the Merlot2Masterpiece classes.  The idea is you BYOB and enjoy some snacks while a professional artist walks you through step-by-step of a work of art.  It's great fun!  We did a piece called Stars At Night which is a Texas version of Van Gogh's Starry Night.  Below is the progression of my piece.


The master at work!
The artists at the end of the night!




0 comments:

Post a Comment